PRESERVING THE HERITAGE OF THE AMERICAN WEST
Nicholas Coleman was born in Provo, Utah in 1978. Brought up in an artistic home, Coleman has been painting and drawing for as long as he can remember. Coleman has found much of his inspiration in his travels across North America, Canada, Europe and even into Africa. Hunting and fishing along the way his interest often include exploring hidden streams and valleys looking for signs of wildlife. He gained an appreciation for the subtle details hidden in plain sight. In his own words he wants to "preserve the heritage of the American West." Coleman uses a traditional academic approach in his painting, never formally trained he looks to the masters of old to inspire and guide his own career. His work definitely has a feel of realism as he strives to make each painting better than the next. There is a certain amount of spontaneity and a slight impressionistic feel to his paintings that let the viewer participate in the work. Coleman endeavors to create a connection between his paintings and the observer by invoking a mood that the viewer can walk into. In Nicholas's words, “The work I am striving to produce, is a kind of preservation of a certain way of life. The West has always fascinated me. So many untold stories to tell!”
Studied: Brigham Young University, UT; 2000-2002, BA in Fine Arts
- 2005 Michael Duty and Susan Deats, Western Traditions – Contemporary Artist of the American West, Fresco Fine Art Publications, 279 pages (color)
- 2009 Nicholas Coleman – Author and Illustrator, In the North Woods (children’s book), Sunstone Press, 42 Pages (color)
- 2009 Jackson Stone — Illustrator — Six Guns and Scalping Knives: Short stories of the Old West
- 2010 George Lucas and J.W. Rinzler, Star Wars Art : Visions, Abrams Books, 223 Pages (color)
- 2015 Donna and James Peloton, Painters of Grand Teton National Park; Gibbs Smith, 288 Pages (color)
Museum & Private Collections:
- Anshutz Collection, Denver, Colorado.
- Bennington Center for the Arts, Bennington, Vermont.
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Wausau, Wisconsin.
- George Lucas, Lucasfilm Ltd.
- Christopher Forbes, Forbes, New York, New York.
- Raymond James Financial Center, Clearwater, Florida.
- Adirondack Museum, Blue Mountain Lake, New York.
- Bass Pro Shops, Springfield ,Missouri.
- Booth Western Art Museum, Cartersville, Georgia.
Exhibition Record (Museums, Institutions and Awards):
- 2003 Top 100 Arts for the Parks, Jackson Hole, WY.
- 2003 Bennington Center for the Arts, Art of the Animal Kingdom, Bennington ,VT.
- *(Award of Merit for Wildlife.)
- 2006 Bennington Center for the Arts-Art of the Animal Kingdom, Bennington, VT.
- 2017 Bennington Center for the Arts-Art of the Animal Kingdom, Bennington, VT.
- 2006 Leigh Yawkey Birds in Art, Wausau, WI.
- 2009 Leigh Yawkey Birds in Art, Wausau, WI.
- 2008-13, 2019 Masters of the American West, Autry National Center, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2007-2009 Gilcrease Musuem, American Art In Miniature Show, Tulsa, OK.
- 2009-2011 Coors Western Art Show, Denver CO.
- 2009-2018 Buffalo Bill Art Show and Sale, Cody, WY.
- 2009-2016 C.M. Russell Museum Show and Sale, Great Falls, MT.
- 2013-2019 Briscoe Country Western Art Museum, San Antonio, TX.
- 2015 Briscoe Country Western Art Museum *(Artist Choice Award for ‘Come and Take It.’) San Antonio, TX.
- 2014 Wheels and Waves Show and Exhibition, Biarritz, France.
- 2016 Wheels and Waves Show and Exhibition, Biarritz, France.
- 2017 Wheels and Waves Show and Exhibition, Cayucos, CA.
- 2015 Arc International Salon, Award of Merit*
- 2016 Arc International Salon, Director’s Award* 1st Place Landscape Painting*
- 2015 Star Wars Visions, Special Exhibition, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2015 Clutch Show, Yokohama, Japan.
- 2015 BOLT - One Man Show - Hackney, London, UK.
- 2017 BOLT - One Man Show - Hackney, London, UK.
- 2016 American Masters - Salmagundi Club, New York, NY.
- 2016 Motorcycle Studies Conference (IJMS)
- and Motorcycle Cultures Exhibition - Chelsea College of Arts - London, UK.
- The Stronghold, Special Art of the Motorcycle Exhibition, Los Angeles, CA.